For over 50 years, the Mid-Peninsula Boys & Girls Club has opened its doors to the community and helped countless young people achieve their personal and educational goals in a positive environment. Today, we serve over 2,000 youth across 5 clubhouses in 8 school districts.
Youth Served Daily
Ages 12 and
Minority Races or Ethnicities
Qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch
HOW IT ALL STARTED
In the early 1950s, some highly community-minded citizens decided San Mateo boys would benefit from having access to a Boys’ Club in the neighborhood. The Boys’ Clubs of America was picking up great momentum and had opened up approximately 400 Boys’ Clubs across the nation at
On June 22, 1953, an article appeared on page 11 in the San Mateo Times announcing that the San Mateo Boys’ Club had formed its first official board of directors. In addition, a separate article reported that twelve-year-old Johnny Doré had been killed in an accident as he jumped from his father’s tractor.
It turned out that Johnny’s father, John Doré Sr., was a developer in San Mateo County. Grieving for his son, Mr. Doré decided he wanted to do something to help young boys, so he joined the team of citizens who had assembled to start the San Mateo Boys’ Club. No club location had yet been identified, so John Doré donated the parcels of land on which the Club stands today.
WHEN DID OUR NAME CHANGE?
In 1990, Boys’ Clubs of America became The Boys & Girls Club of America. In keeping with the national movement, the San Mateo Boys’ Club became the Mid-Peninsula Boys & Girls Club. Today, both boys and girls enjoy a wide variety of educational and recreational activities at the San Mateo Club that began nearly 50 years ago.
San Mateo Boys’ Club First Constitution
On April 6, 1954, the first board of directors established the Club’s first constitution and by-laws. It is evident that careful thought went into assembling this document. We are also reminded of how far common business technology has evolved since 1954!
On February 28, 2005, the MPBGC expanded its outreach to the Bayshore community in Daly City. In collaboration with the City of Daly City the MPBGC opened up a new 27,000 sq. ft. state of the art facility.
On January 6, 2014, the MPBGC once again expanded and opened a site on the Taylor Middle School Campus located in the city of Millbrae. On September 2, 2014 the MPBGC once again expanded and opened a site on the Lomita Park Elementary School Campus located in the city of Millbrae. On August 29, 2015 the MPBGC once again expanded and opened a site on the Thomas R. Policita Middle School Campus located in the city of Daly City.
Today, more than 30,000 youth have benefited from MPBGC’s programs. Thanks to MPBGC’s dedicated staff and a solid group of generous supporters, MPBGC continues to provide a positive place for kids, preparing them for the challenges of the new millennium.